When you’re eating healthy, chicken often becomes a staple. It’s a lean protein and is generally well liked by many. How do you keep your chicken from becoming boring and predictable? Use it in many different ways. Roast it, saute it, grill it, use it to make soup. Try different methods of cooking and recipes and see what works best for you. This week I switched up our weekly roasted chicken and coated it with almond meal. We use this chicken on salads or for dinner paired with steamed veggies and brown rice. The change was welcome and added a new depth to an otherwise sometimes bland protein.
Almond crusted roasted chicken with roasted tomato dressing
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into equal portions (I cut each large breast in half)
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup egg whites
1 1/2 tsp 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe’s (or use a similar seasoning that you like)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp lemon pepper (or black pepper)
1 package cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp olive oil
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a flat dish, combine almond meal, spices (except thyme), salt and pepper. Place egg whites in a separate bowl
3. Coat each chicken breast piece first in the egg whites and then in the almond meal mixture until well coated. Place in a single layer on a nonstick cookie tray or in an oven safe dish
4. In a separate oven safe dish, combine tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and thyme until tomatoes are well coated with liquid.
5. Place both dishes in the oven and roast the chicken for 40 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160. Remove chicken from oven and allow to rest, covered loosely with foil, for 15 minutes
6. Remove the tomatoes from the over after 55 minutes or when they have become wrinkly and sauce-like.
We served this with brown rice, steamed spicy coconut broccoli and we topped the chicken with the roasted tomato sauce.
I’d love to hear more from you. What are you enjoying? Have you made any of the recipes? Comment and let me know what you’d like to see more of!