Today I tackled pumpkin pie. I personally really love pumpkin pie so I was a bit torn as to what to do and how to change it up. I used this recipe as inspiration and made a few tweaks to it. I did have to try a few different versions though before finally coming up with a winner. I hope you try it and like it. It is gluten-free and dairy-free which helps out at parties or dinners where the other guests may have allergies or sensitivities to these two things (although it does have eggs and nuts). This recipe also cuts down on the amount of sugar you would put into a traditional pumpkin pie recipe. While it is a healthier spin, it is still rich and not necessarily low in calories so you will still want to only have a little but it’s worth it!
The recipe looks long and has quite a few parts but it’s really worth it and once you make the vanilla coconut whipped cream and the cashew cream, you can use them for other healthy dessert or breakfast recipes. I like to top my overnight oats with cashew cream and my pancakes with the coconut whipped cream.
Pumpkin Pie with Vanilla Coconut Whipped Cream
Vanilla Coconut Whipped Cream:
1 can coconut milk
1 tsp honey
5 drops liquid stevia
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Place can of coconut milk in refrigerator overnight. When you open it the next day, you will see the cream has thickened and come to the top.
2. Scoop the cream off the liquid and place into a medium sized bowl. Set the liquid aside to be used in the pumpkin pie filling
3. Add vanilla extract, honey and stevia to the coconut cream and whisk until blended and smooth.
1 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
5 pitted dates
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1. To make crust, add all ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor and blend/process until it forms a paste
2. In a sprayed pie pan, press the paste down until it forms a crust
1 can pumpkin puree
1 cup coconut milk (see note if you are making coconut whipped cream to go with this)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup coconut sugar (or 3 tbsp coconut sugar and 2 tbsp maple syrup)
10 drops liquid stevia
2 tbsp cashew cream (click here for recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Place all ingredients into a large bowl and whisk until smooth
3. Place pie filling into the prepared crust and bake in oven for 45 minutes or until the filling is set in the middle.
4. Allow to cool then transfer to refrigerator to allow it to set for 1 hour
5. Top with coconut whipped cream