Yesterday, I wanted a cookie. Of course, we don’t have any in the house but we did have all the ingredients I needed to make one. I remembered a few years back when I made this recipe for healthy chocolate chip cookie pie which incidentally is scrumptious so I pulled it out and made some changes that I thought might make for some killer chocolate chip cookies! These are 9 month old approved and they satisfy your sweet tooth without being too sweet and without all the extra bloat that sugar, butter and white flour give you. For anyone with food allergies (including kids), these are gluten-free, daily-free and egg-free and can be made nut-free as well. I think you’ll like them as much as my family does!
Sinless Chocolate Chip Cookies (makes 14-15 cookies)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup rolled oats (be sure to buy gluten free oats if you are making for someone who is gluten free)
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tbsp raw almond butter (substitute 1/2 overripe banana for nut-free version)
1/4 cup natural applesauce (no sugar added)
25 drops Stevia (I use NuNaturals or Trader Joe’s brand)
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup chocolate chips (can use dairy free chocolate chips)
1 tsp baking powder (be sure to use a gluten free brand like Rumford if gluten free version)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips and coconut flour in a food processor or high speed blender (it’s easier in a food processor) and blend into a smooth dough.
3. Place the dough into a medium sized bowl and mix in coconut flour until well incorporated. Then, mix in chocolate chips.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and roll the dough into balls about 3/4 inch in diameter.
5. Place the balls on the cookie sheet and lightly press to smoosh into more of a cookie shape.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden on the outside.
7. For the best taste, allow to cool completely before eating. They will still be soft and chewy and while they aren’t too sweet, they definitely satisfy that cookie craving!