Alright, so growing up Italian, I ate a lot of amazing meatballs. My mom makes epic meatballs. In fact, most of the members of my family make amazing meatballs; each with a recipe that is a bit different from the next. These are not those meatballs. Now, don’t get too disappointed. These meatballs are great for a weeknight comfort food that is reminiscent of my mama’s meatballs but that fit more into my healthy eating plan. So, while there will never be a substitute for my mama’s meatballs, these work in a pinch and when I don’t want to indulge in too many calories!
Not my mama’s meatballs
1 lbs. extra lean (96% fat free) ground beef
1/4 cup flaxmeal
1/2 cup mashed acorn squash or sweet potato
2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp parsley
1 tsp allspice
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp tomato sauce (from a can, no added sugar)
2 cans tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
1/2 onion (do not slice, just peel off the outside)
1 tsp ghee
1. Place all ingredients for the sauce in a medium sauce pan on medium-low until it starts to bubble. Then lower the heat to low.
2. While the sauce is cooking, place all ingredients for meatballs into a large bowl and mix until well incorporated.
3.. Form into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter and place on a greased baking sheet.
4. Broil at 500 for 6 minutes or until brown on the outside but not cooked fully on the inside.
5. Once browned, carefully place the meatballs in the sauce and allow to cook on the stovetop on low for 1 hour.
6. Serve over roasted spaghetti squash or your choice of pasta.
And don’t forget, I have a giveaway coming up. Head on over to my Facebook page: Your Recipe for Success: Living Fit & Healthy with Beth . Like the page and share it on your page and your name will be entered twice into a random drawing to win this P90X+ DVD!